Under the direction of the Director – Finance and the HIM & Switchboard Supervisor performs the clerical and communications operator activities related to the department's services: OP analysis, retrieve, process, scan, index, quality check documents for accuracy and switchboard Functions. Release of Information.
- Exhibits the values and philosophy of SSM Health Care and St. Mary's Janesville Hospital in daily activities and performs job functions in accordance with hospital policies and procedure, keeping the needs of the patients, physicians and medical staff the primary priority. Must be able to resolve problems in a courteous and supportive manner.
- SWITCHBOARD: Maintains a positive, helpful disposition under stressful and complex situations. Sends a positive first impression to callers throughout the hospital, while promoting professional and interpersonal relations with all. Utilizes software to manage all internal and external telephone calls. Shows compassion while providing our services with distraught or grieving family members or patients. Handles all incoming and in-house paging requests, for overhead pages, beeper pages and cell phones.
- RECORD RETRIEVAL: The Health Information Associate/Communications Operator will retrieve medical record information from nursing units once patients have been discharged from that nursing unit.
- RELEASE OF INFORMATION: Release of Information phone calls, patient walk ins and process faxes that are received. The Health Information Associate/Communications Operator releases confidential health information in accordance with Wisconsin State Law, Federal Law, and HIPAA regulations and understands these regulations as they relate to the release of information to individuals authorized to receive it.
- SCAN/PROCESS CHARTS: Performs regular runs to the ER/Inpatient floors to retrieve paper documents for scanning into the electronic health record, prep patient documents to ensure correct patient, correct account, and correct document type. Scan patient documents ensuring high quality images, quality check patient documents to ensure correct patient, correct account. and correct document type.
- ANALYSIS: Analyze Outpatient, Emergency Department, Medical Day Bed, and Series charts for deficiencies in the electronic health record for completion for the coders; add deficiencies as necessary, i.e. attending consulting, etc. Analyze lab orders and process them for necessary signatures, include faxing to providers for completion.
- POliCY COMPliANCE: Understands and demonstrates proper use of various computer software programs: Microsoft Word, Excel, EPIC, and Document Imaging software. Helps to enforce policies for completeness and accuracy of the medical record according to Wisconsin State Law and The Joint Commission requirements. SHARED ACCOUNTABIliTY: Participate on a shared governance team involving members of each section in the HIM Department. Involvement and participation in team activities is essential. Team members participate in group projects and presentation as appropriate. OTHER DUTIES: Perform other duties as requested.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Consistent with the hospital vision to surpass the expectations of those who depend on us, the employee demonstrates a customer focus while providing service (e.g. confidentiality, is courteous to all customers – patients, families, and all other hospital staff-addresses and follows up on all customer concerns.) Know, practice, and reinforce hospital identified customer service behaviors. Develop customer service goals and an action plan based on customer feedback. Measure and respond to customer feedback. Create an environment where responsiveness to customer needs is a personal priority. Answer and route department telephone calls to appropriate staff. Friendly and pleasant attitude is required. Fax discharge notices to PCP offices and Carbon Copies of dictated reports to outside providers. Communicate to peers, customers, and co-workers. Message routing, including any faxing. Overhead page codes that include Fire Alarm, Medical Emergency, Abducted Infant, and Severe weather, Emergency Response Plan, Missing child/adult, Rapid Response, and False alarms and monitor all alarm panels.
- COMMUNICATION: Exhibit an approachable, interactive style in relationships. Communicate effectively by seeking and giving feedback, articulating ideas, listening and sharing information with all stakeholders (intra- and inter-departmentally.) Participate in a variety of means of communication to stay abreast of current issues within the department and hospital.
- TEAMWORK: Demonstrates proficiency in use of multi-function copier/scanner/printer equipment including clearing jams, adding paper, replacing toner, and placing service calls. Collaborate with peers, staff, fellow team members, and outside colleagues. Seek and encourage alternative views. Act with integrity and honesty, being willing to trust others. Train personnel as assigned. Rotate in other job tasks as necessary.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Prior work in medical office setting preferably in Health Information Management/Services (Medical Records), computer knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, ability to demonstrate and perform proper use of various computer software programs, basic computer competency skills are expected for this position.
- Excellent customer service skills, pleasant and friendly attitude during stressful times, ability to multi-task, thinking and ability to concentrate through constant interruptions, adapt to a stationary position for long period of time, knowledge of communication, paging, cell phone, keyboarding, word processing, with a high degree of accuracy.
- One year experience in an office setting preferred.
- Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology (HIT) or Health Information Management (HIM) preferred.
Our $150 million community medical campus opened in 2012 to provide a full range of health services for Janesville and the surrounding communities in Rock County. The campus includes a 50-bed hospital — St. Mary's Janesville Hospital — and our adjacent Dean Clinic — Janesville East location, which offers exceptional primary and specialty care on one central complex. Our 165,000-square-foot hospital has all private rooms, a healing garden and award-winning emergency and obstetrics departments.