Under the general supervision of the Administrative Director of MedicalImaging, performs nursing functions as necessary for the well-being of thepatient while in the department. Performs the duties in a professional mannerand in accordance with accepted hospital policy so as to ensure the provisionof the highest quality nursing care according to accepted nursing norms.
1. Customer Services or CustomerServices: Communicates effectively with staff, patients and visitors.
2. Quality Improvement: Assists indata collection for patient flow, proficiency and quality assurance studies.
3. Human Relations: (A) Followspolicy and procedure for conscious sedation of patients. (B) Communicates withdepartment leadership about immediate concerns, needs or patient care issues.(C) Attend meetings and make contributions when appropriate.
4. Problem Solving: Verifies physicianorders when necessary and make assessment of patient's status.
5. Documentation: Proficient in theoperation of the teleradiology and Picture Archive and Communications System(PACS), Radiology Information System (RIS) and the Electronic Health Record(EHR) for all exams.
6. Team Work: (A) Assiststechnologists in performing sterile procedures and isolation cases whennecessary. (B) Assists supervisors in teaching nursing techniques to otherstaff members; periodically reviews sterile techniques used in variousprocedures.
7. Primary Responsibilities forMedical Imaging Nursing Services: (A) Observes and maintains supportiveequipment with patient, i.e., intravenous, suction and oxygen units. (B)Assists with all medical imaging examinations on critically ill patients whoneed nursing observation and/or for conscious sedation. Assists radiologistswith patients who have contrast media reactions and/or respiratory distress.(C) Monitor, reviews and clarifies patient procedure preparations with nursingunits. (D) Assists with transfer of critically ill patients to and from nursingunits. Receives report of patient's condition from nursing staff and providespatient assessment when returned. (E) Teach nursing procedures pertinent to anyand all medical imaging exams. (F) Routinely performs narcotic inventory inPIXIS and reports to Pharmacy. Keeps medication stocked. Is familiar withmedications and their usage in pediatrics, adult and geriatric patients. Checksdrug expiration date and takes appropriate action. (G) Provides "on call"service to Medical Imaging for invasive procedures and transfer of criticalcare patients in accordance with department policy. (H) Maintains the integrityof emergency carts (adult and pediatric code carts, latex cart, reaction boxand defibrillator).
8. Primary Responsibilities forMedical Imaging Charge Nurse Services: (A) Attends a.m. nursing rounds at 8:30.Reports staffing situation in Medical Imaging. (B) Communicates with all areasof department to determine nursing needs for the day. (C) Arranges assignmentsfor the day, including lunches & breaks; assignments to be posted by 7:30a.m. D) Maintains a running list of current procedures needing nurse coverage;coordinates to maximize coverage. (E) Negotiates with competing physiciangroups when work load exceeds capacity of nurses available. (F) Communicateswith Administrative Nursing Supervisor if staff is available to assist otherunits. (G) Attempts to call in PRN staff when scheduled staff are unable towork. (H) At the end of the day reviews schedule for coming day to identifypotential staffing opportunities, problems or concerns. (I) Performs OtherDuties as Assigned.
9. For the previous evaluationperiod competences were up to date and current.